Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The Last Stand

Back in June, I decided I was going to do the one thing I’d never done before on a 48 Hour Film Project…run my own team. I’ve written for them, assistant directed, script supervised, acted, run sound, shot scenes, ect over the past nine years. But for the big number ten, I wanted to see if I could really direct my own. I’d directed dozens of things over the years, but I’d always thought the 48 was the biggest local film challenge possible. So this October, running number ten was going to be my competition swan song.


Truth be told, my body simply isn’t equipped for these long hours and tight deadlines anymore. I was born with cerebral palsy, and since about 2010, the combination of spinal stenosis and fusion surgeries has made my balance and endurance about 20% of what it used to be. My hands have been closing and my legs have been trying to scissor. My neurologists begged me not to do this, citing that I legitimately take years off of my life when I do these competitions. But I’m a creator so, being the stubborn guy that I am, I decided to take the chance anyway. I probably didn’t help matters any when I stumbled at the Kickoff Event and concussed myself on a concrete wall before we even got our genres. This was no time for doctors, this was #TheLastStand.  

If I didn’t have the awesome team that I did, I wouldn’t have felt comfortable going into this battle so weary. My talented cinematographer also came in very injured, and he sacrificed just as much as I did (if not more). I made new friendships, galvanized old ones, and sprinted to a movie with some of the kindest, hardest working people I’ve ever met. We didn’t win any awards (but did get a runner-up and a nomination that I’m very proud of), but I said that as long as we enjoyed the process and made a good film, I’d be okay with whatever the results were. I believe we did that, so I’m extremely proud to call this my final 48HFP. #TheLastStand was a success. 

So I leave you with this. Thank you to every person I’ve ever competed with, and competed “against” in these. You guys are family now, and will be family forever. Thank you to Kahmeela, Lance, PJ, the judges, and everyone who has given us a platform to create and showcase our work. Artists, if you’re thinking about making a movie, the time is now. This city is BURSTING with talent that gets fresher and sharper every year. Take a chance, network, and see your vision come to life on the big screen. There’s no experience like it. Don’t be afraid to fail. You will fail, a lot, and it will be the best thing that could happen to you. You will learn and grow and be better with every film and every test that comes your way. This competition has a way of making memories and friends that last a lifetime. Film itself is a legacy, in that you will have your name in the credits until the end of time, and what an AMAZING gift that is to leave the world with.

I’m not done with filmmaking, not by a longshot. I’m retired from the time constraints and regulations of short competitions. But I’ve got a lot of stories to tell, and I want to represent the handicapped community and be a motivator for people who haven’t found their voice yet. So I look forward to writing, directing, and acting with you all on set, for many years to come. 

I don’t really know what my goal was in writing this. Partially to tell my story, partially to try to inspire people, and largely to impart my gratitude to my talented colleagues in this community. You guys are more rare and special than you realize. So create. Make mistakes. Be original. Find your crew. Lead with love. Show the world your art. If we’ve learned anything at all, it’s that the world needs it. 

With Love And Respect,

Jason Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment